PDA

View Full Version : Expected speeds over 100MB router?

tptmuso
06-19-2007, 08:07 AM
Having just purchased a LinkStation Live 250GB NAS to use for back up of my MacBook I downloaded the SuperDuper! trial and made an initial backup of the MacBook HD. This backup took the form of a sparse image on the LinkStation, via a Netgear router using Ethernet connections to both the MacBook and LinkStation. The MacBook has an 80GB disk, with approximately 48GB used and the image took over 7 hours to create, with an average speed of 1.4MB/s.

Although impressed with the simplicity of SuperDuper! I am slightly mystified at the slow speeds involved. Would this be normal or do things improve dramatically when registered? Alternatively, does it appear strange and indicative of a fault somewhere in the system? As an exercise I attempted the same process via Airport and this registers a speed of 0.47MB/s, which needless to say I did not bother to leave running.

I am new to NAS drives so it may be simple user error but hopefully some light can be thrown on the situation as I would like to continue with SuperDuper but do not want to leave the MacBook running every night to make the necessary backups. I have made a search of the forums prior to posting but did not find a response that matched the above problem. Apologies if this is an oversight on my part.

Many thanks.

dnanian
06-19-2007, 04:58 PM
The LinkStation is quite slow. Subsequent Smart Updates should be significantly faster, though!