PDA

View Full Version : Don't copy item, but do keep existing during SmartUpdate?

sjonke
03-02-2005, 07:51 AM
Is there any way in a copy script to have SuperDuper! during a SmartUpdate, not copy a particular item, but have it not remove that item from the clone? In particular what I'm trying to have is a clone that does not have the same icon as the original. I want it to have a custom icon, but different from the original. If I set SuperDuper! to ignore the file ".VolumeIcon.icns" that will prevent the backup from having the same icon, but it will remove any existing ".VolumeIcon.incs" file on the backup, thus removing the custom icon. I guess what I want is an "AlmostSmartUpdate". :)

dnanian
03-02-2005, 07:58 AM
At present, there's no way to do that. However, by using a little shell script, you can copy an appropriate icon to the drive.

The basic technique is to use the "Site Customization Script". Write a small shell script -- one of the parameters is the destination volume name. In a folder in your home directory, or somewhere fixed, place the icon you want with a name like "my-volume-name.VolumeIcon.icns".

Then, when the script runs, use the name of the volume to copy the appropriate .VolumeIcon.icns into place. This'll run after the Smart Update, and will "fix" the icon to the one you want.

(Site Customization Scripts are described, in some detail, in the User's Guide.)

sjonke
03-02-2005, 08:39 AM
(Site Customization Scripts are described, in some detail, in the User's Guide.)

Hmm, I did find some info, but to say that it is "in some detail" is a bit of a stretch! :) But I get the idea and that sounds like it'll work. I just have to refresh myself on shell script argument processing... - an example script in the users guide would help with this!

Speaking of the users guide, it would be a *lot* more useful if it had bookmarks in table-of-contents form, as is done in many other PDF documents. It's pretty hard to navigate the thing without that!

Steve

dnanian
03-02-2005, 09:08 AM
The problem is that Word and Acrobat on the Mac don't play as nicely together as those on the PC, so I can't generate any kind of linked TOC easily without doing so on a PC (which means buying Acrobat for Windows, etc)...

In any case, I'll look into providing an example script for this in the Extras folder in a future release.

(Sorry if you didn't find the detail in the guide for this sufficient: I didn't provide examples because there wasn't any way to really know what people would do with these scripts when I wrote the guide. And, there's little point in detailing shell syntax, since there's documentation on that elsewhere... but point taken. I'll see what I can do in the future to improve it.)