PDA

View Full Version : Fat 32 & Bootable Backup

kg4fxg
06-03-2007, 07:01 AM
Hello,

Sorry, But I am new to Mac & backups. Had Mac less than a month and I am already worried about backing up. I will register will Superduper this week for the full version.

I did a full backup with the free version of superduper to my WD 250 firewire drive. How do I know if it is bootable and how do I know I got rid of the fat 32 format?

I remember formating it but not sure to what format. BTW, I love my Macbook.

Thanks
Bill

dnanian
06-03-2007, 07:21 AM
If you open Disk Utility (/Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility), and then select the WD drive (not the volume under it, but the drive), on the lower-right side of the window it should say that the "Partition Scheme" is GUID. If it doesn't, you should click the Partition tab, click Options, and switch the scheme to GUID.

Then, once you accept that, the Format should be set to "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)".

Partition, and your disk is set up properly.

If it does say "GUID" for the partition scheme, and you copied directly to the drive, FAT32 is gone. :)

You can test the backup by selecting it in the Startup Disk Preference Pane in System Preferences and restarting. Don't forget to switch back!

kg4fxg
06-03-2007, 02:51 PM
Thanks,

Everyone is so nice here. I'll buy the full version and start backing up as a routine.

Bill

dnanian
06-03-2007, 04:21 PM
Thanks, Bill -- let us know how it works out.