PDA

View Full Version : Best way to do Smart Update on most, Copy Newer on others - and suggestion

rickcr
06-02-2007, 11:26 PM
I'm wondering what the best way is to accomplish this...

I'd like to have smart update take place on all my system folders and applications, but in a few other folders - like my Documents and possibly Pictures I'd like to perform a "Copy Newer" - that is, I'd like the destination to preserve stuff that might have been deleted on the source. This would sort of act like a backup if deleted certain files by mistake on the source drive (yes I know the latest OS is going to have the feature built in.)

What I'd really love is if there was a way to say on certain directories - when making the copy of a file to the destination, rather than just erase and copy the new one in its place, first make a backup of it - ie somefile.txt.bak1, and then proceed to backup - somefile.txt. Obviously there could be some super duper setting to limit the number of backups of files. Has there been any thought to this approach? I understand that Super Duper isn't supposed to act as version control, but I think some limited functionality as described above could be very useful.

dnanian
06-02-2007, 11:29 PM
Well, you can accomplish this by creating separate destination volumes/partitions for the folders you don't want to Smart Update, and "Copy Newering" them to there...