PDA

View Full Version : 2 Mac's - 1 backup drive

JapanJohn
05-05-2007, 08:01 AM
Just bought Super Duper a while back and have had remarkable success. Nothing easier or more intuitive.

I just bought an iMac in addition to my MacBook Pro and have a 300 gig Maxtor One Touch. The laptop is backed up routinely.

How can I back up my iMac on the same backupdrive? I have plenty of space left to back up the new computer.

Is it possible? Seems like Super Duper always wants to replace everything.

John

dnanian
05-05-2007, 09:08 AM
You should partition the destination drive into two volumes: one for each source Mac. Then, direct each source drive to its corresponding destination.

Make sense?

JapanJohn
05-05-2007, 09:22 AM
I had planned on partioning as a last resort. I won't shell out $45 for a non destructive utility when I can do it for free by blasting the drive, splitting it and doing two backups.

I do hate to kill a perfectly good up to date backup.

Thanks, I figured I'd have to go this route. Not tonight. For the next rainy day. Anyway there is nothing on the new iMac that isn't on the laptop.

John

dnanian
05-05-2007, 09:38 AM
The other way is to store two backups in images on the same partition, but you'd still need to get rid of the existing backup, so I don't think it'll help.

Of course, you can also get a 2nd drive for the other Mac. They're pretty cheap these days... $100 or so for a 300GB drive...