PDA

View Full Version : Filefault

ajung
04-27-2007, 02:59 PM
I have Filevault activated for my home partition. I checked the latest backup and appear that SD does not backup such a partition? Bug or feature?!

:mad:

Andreas

dnanian
04-27-2007, 04:20 PM
Sure it does, Andreas: it's just that, since you use FileVault, the files are hidden and encrypted on the backup.

ajung
04-29-2007, 02:19 PM
Sure it does, Andreas: it's just that, since you use FileVault, the files are hidden and encrypted on the backup.

ok, assuming that I want to recover some particular files from the encrypted backup. How can do that?

Andreas

dnanian
04-29-2007, 02:30 PM
The easiest way is to start up from the backup, copy the files (which will then be available) to an accessible place, then boot back.

ajung
04-29-2007, 02:34 PM
The easiest way is to start up from the backup, copy the files (which will then be available) to an accessible place, then boot back.

That seems a bit too complicated.

How about adding an option to SD to store stuff on the backup unencrypted?

dnanian
04-29-2007, 02:36 PM
You can do that. Create a 2nd partition that'll hold your Home folder. THen, use "Backup - all files" with the FileVault partition as the source (you'll see it as an option in the source pop-up), and that as the destination.

ajung
04-29-2007, 02:40 PM
You can do that. Create a 2nd partition that'll hold your Home folder. THen, use "Backup - all files" with the FileVault partition as the source (you'll see it as an option in the source pop-up), and that as the destination.

Ok, thanks a lot:)