PDA

View Full Version : Odd Dock behavior in clone

DavidCB
04-14-2007, 02:33 PM
I have been successfully using SuperDuper for a couple of years to make clones to external FW drives. Today, however, I noticed that when I boot a clone, the items in the Dock point to my internal drive, not the clone.

I have tried using Disk Utility (Repair Permissions and Repair Disk) and DiskWarrior 4, emptying caches and checking Preferences with Preferential Treatment but to no avail. I also tried running the 10.4.9 Combo Updater again.

Any ideas?

Thank you,

David
MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo
OS 10.4.9

dnanian
04-14-2007, 02:42 PM
If you name your backup drive the same as the startup drive before you start up from it, that should resolve the issue.

DavidCB
04-14-2007, 03:12 PM
If you name your backup drive the same as the startup drive before you start up from it, that should resolve the issue.

I tried that but the problem is still there. (Also, I have always had different names for backup and startup in the past but never had a problem until now.)

David

dnanian
04-14-2007, 03:19 PM
I don't know why that would be, David. We copy these files and aliases exactly as they are on the drive, and they should resolve as you'd expect. Resolving to the original file is kind of preferential if it's there -- but usually naming the backup the same as the source will default it to that.

In any case, when restored (or if the original drive isn't available -- you can eject it), it'll behave properly...

DavidCB
04-14-2007, 03:30 PM
I don't know why that would be, David. We copy these files and aliases exactly as they are on the drive, and they should resolve as you'd expect. Resolving to the original file is kind of preferential if it's there -- but usually naming the backup the same as the source will default it to that.

One odd thing is that all the Dock items point to the original, as I said, including Suitcase Fusion, a startup item. However, a duplicate of Suitcase Fusion is also added to the Dock and has the black caret to the left that shows it is launched from the clone.

David

dnanian
04-14-2007, 03:43 PM
Curious. We really haven't changed the way things are copied, so it's possible that OSX is now resolving the aliases differently...

DavidCB
04-14-2007, 03:47 PM
Curious. We really haven't changed the way things are copied, so it's possible that OSX is now resolving the aliases differently...

I am almost certain I have booted from a clone since 10.4.9 but maybe not. I wonder if others have noticed this behavior.

David