PDA

View Full Version : System Prefs > Keyboard & Mouse > Trackpad tab missing after Mini > Macbook copy

sjs
02-25-2007, 04:54 PM
hi again

i superdupered my intel mac mac to my macbook.

everything works great, but the one thing i lost is the trackpad tab inside of mouse and keyboard system prefs..

is there any plist pref file you know of i can copy over from the old mini?
i looked in /System?/Library/SystemConfiguration but didnt see anything obvious. i'd hate to have to archive and install from DVD just for this, which I dont have enough space to do anyway, so i am really out of luck otherwise i think unless you have any other ideas?
thanks

EDIT - I also just realized that 2 other Macbook specific things don't work:

1) The Fn Key is dead
2) the special F1-F7 "Function Keys" including volume, brightness, numb lock, etc are inoperable.

I'm thinking at this point my best bet is to bite the bullet (another day of downtime b/c it contains a large data set under Users and / ) by reinstalling the OS to the boot drive.

But it would be good to know a fix for the future. I guess superduper shouldnt be used to copy from 1 machine to another? I'd sure like to know where the special files are that tells OS X that this machine is a laptop...

Surprisingly, *it does* know its a laptop....looking under System Profiler now, sure enough, it is smart enough to know this machine is a "Macbook2,1" with proper serial number, but apparently not smart enough to bother fixing its own missing config or extension problems...

I'll wait on doing this until I hear back from you because really it is a big job I'd rather avoid if at all possible...
Thanks

dnanian
02-26-2007, 09:07 AM
This is because your MacBook came with a special build of OSX that included support for its hardware. It'll likely "sync back up" when 10.4.9 comes out... but you can also do an archive-and-install from the disc that came with the MacBook.

sjs
02-26-2007, 01:36 PM
Hmmm...

this page http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301270
says

"Archive and Install installations require the greatest amount of available disk space because you need to have room for your existing System and the new one you are installing."

I don't have enough space.

So is the best way in this case to delete my huge /Users folder and copy it back after the install?

What if I chose the 1st option, "Upgrade", that apparently doesnt duplicate the whole system. Dont know if I'll have that choice until testing later...

I'll tell you, what I typically do with problems, before buying Superduper, is ditto my /Users folder to a 2nd HD, then wipe the boot drive clean and do a fresh install. Then in SysPrefs>Accounts I add back all the different Users I had, being very careful to always add them in the same order as I did the 1st time so they get the same UID as previously. Then I carefully swap the fresh /Users folder for my old large /Users folder, usually in single user mode when Im being careful.

Which way do you think is the fastest/best?

dnanian
02-26-2007, 01:58 PM
If you don't have the space, how about clean installing from the DVD and then migrating, when prompted, from the backup...

sjs
03-05-2007, 01:40 PM
thx mate, thats what i ending up doing.