PDA

View Full Version : SD Problem with Partitions

back2mac
01-29-2007, 04:18 AM
I have been using SD for a few years now - worked perfectly.
Recently, however [4-6 months ago] I began having issues saving a backup to an external LaCie FW HD partitioned into 2 partitions - 1 for SD and the other for data backup.

The drive cannot be accessed after a backup. It simply seeks forever. If I delete the partitions and simply use it for data backup - it works perfectly.

Is there an issue with SD and partitions or am I missing something obvious?

Thank you.

I love SD by-the-way.

dnanian
01-29-2007, 10:58 AM
Sounds like a damaged drive to me; deleting the partition probably moves the location of the data enough to avoid the problem. I'd erase-and-zero the drive, partition again and see if that helps.

back2mac
01-31-2007, 04:33 AM
Hi Dave,
My message was a little vaguely explained. I meant - if I used SD to create a bootable backup to a partition on the LaCie drive it never mounted. If I delete the SD bootable backup and just used the drive as a place to manually copy files - it works perfectly.

My problem appears to be SD related.

dnanian
01-31-2007, 10:40 AM
I don't think so. We do not touch the drive at a low level, at all. As I said, it's more likely that it's failing because more data is being copied to it and that data is hitting a bad spot. SD! is just the "messenger"...

back2mac
01-31-2007, 04:04 PM
Would you recommend a complete re-format or does it sound more like the drive is on the way out even though it is less than 18 months old?

Thank you.

dnanian
01-31-2007, 08:34 PM
I'd try a full erase-and-zero to remap any bad sectors, then give the partition/backup another try.