PDA

View Full Version : making backup non-bootable

matt__r
01-28-2007, 10:08 PM
I want SuperDuper to make the target disk non-bootable after the smart-update has occurred.

Anyone have any ideas on how to do this? I assume you set it to run a script, but I have no idea how to write such a script.

dnanian
01-28-2007, 10:10 PM
You want to make it non-bootable? I don't understand why you would want to do that, Matt!

matt__r
01-29-2007, 06:44 PM
My setup is thus
- i run exclusively from an external hard drive which I boot from both at home and at work (uni)
- I use the internal drives for backup (at 1am my drive is mirrored to the home pc and at 1pm, the same thing happens at uni)

Problem is, the boot-from-external mechanism is not 100% reliable. Every now and then, even though the external drive is there, it can't find it and boots from the internal drive instead.

Since the two are identical, I don't normally notice the difference until I have already done an hour or so of work - a real pain!

I want both the internal drives to be non-bootable so this won't happen. If the external drive dies, I will use the mac os x install disc to open up disk utility to make the internal drive bootable, and then boot into it.

dnanian
01-29-2007, 09:41 PM
If there's an OS there, though, it's very likely to be bootable -- hard to disable. Have you considered just doing a "Backup - user files" to the internal for this situation?

matt__r
01-29-2007, 11:35 PM
just doing user files won't cut it. I have a very particular setup with many, many programs all over the place and important settings everywhere. Since I use an external drive it dies (via software mostly - for example if the computer tries to come back from sleep with the disk in a different state than when it went to sleep) about once every 3 months. It is a good 3 day job to get my install back into shape (try `fink install ghc` on a ppc mac and you will see what I mean...). So I need to have the full drive mirrored - then it only takes about an hour to get back up and running. That's why SuperDuper is such a good friend to me.

dnanian
01-29-2007, 11:43 PM
OK. What about backing up to an image stored on the internal drive? Then it definitely won't be directly bootable, but will be when restored.

matt__r
01-30-2007, 01:30 AM
yes, I think that would do the job

cheers :)

matt