PDA

View Full Version : unattended backups

kerplunk
01-04-2007, 12:15 PM
I understand that for a scheduled backup to run, the user who scheduled it must be logged in and out in front. I really wish this was not the case. I like to run backups through an Admin, but don't like to leave him logged in nor out in front unattended.

I was wondering if you might consider implementing, for instance, a daemon for a future release? I think that would be a very attractive feature.

Mr. CoBalt
01-04-2007, 01:12 PM
Why not just have the Admin logged in but lock the screen, either through screensaver or Keychain menu extra? This is my setup and SD seems to have no problems.

kerplunk
01-04-2007, 01:29 PM
This is what I am doing now. It's not that it can't be made to work. I guess, my thinking is, wouldn't it be better if I didn't have to use a kludge. First, I have to worry about whether the Admin will be out from when it's time for a backup to run. Second, there are, albiet nit-picky, security concerns.

Since scheduled backups are presumably the rule rather than the exception, this just seems to me like a very desirable feature to have.

dnanian
01-04-2007, 03:36 PM
We're aware of this request, certainly -- can't guarantee anything, but it's under consideration for the future.

kerplunk
01-04-2007, 06:35 PM
Thanks. Also, I wanted to take the opportunity to say how impressed I am with the quality of SD and with your responsiveness as a developer.

Cheers.

dnanian
01-04-2007, 07:14 PM
Thanks very much!