PDA

View Full Version : The Application SuperDuper! Has Unexpectedly Quit

beharkey
12-27-2006, 05:42 PM
I'm running SuperDuper! v.2.1.3 on a MacPro 3.0 GHz running OS 10.4.8.

I have two backup scripts in place. One does a full backup (Erase Backup, then copy files from Macintosh HD) every Saturday morning at 3:30 a.m. The other script does a Smart Update Backup Sunday-Friday mornings at 3:30 a.m.

I have set my Energy Saver to wake my Mac up at 3:28 a.m. in preparation for this backup.

My first script (the full backup) NEVER completes successfully. When I get to the computer on Saturday morning, I always see the same error message "The Application SuperDuper! Has Unexpectedly Quit". My second script (Smart Update) works just fine. Actually, it didn't work this morning either and gave me the same message - but it USUALLY works just fine.

One last detail. I have 4 hard drives in this machine. Drives 1 & 2 are a RAID and are my primary volume. Drives 3 & 4 are a RAID and are my backup volume. I realize this doesn't provide me a safe backup solution in case of a fire, yada yada yada.

When I perform a full backup manually, it works just fine.

Any advice? Help? Thanks!

dnanian
12-27-2006, 06:00 PM
This is due to a bug in 10.4.8 with Intel macs.

If you hide SD during your full backup, and don't use your computer, you should get through the first one. Subsequent backups should be done with Smart Update, and shouldn't crash.

We're hopeful the underlying problem will be fixed in 10.4.9...

beharkey
12-27-2006, 06:12 PM
Hi Dave.

I was afraid you would say that this was due to the 10.4.8 problem, as I've been keeping up with this issue on the forums. A couple of thoughts...

I don't seem to have this same problem (the 10.4.8 problem) when doing a MANUAL full backup. In other words, I have done manual full backups without hiding SD and it works just fine. (Of course, I know to never use the computer while it is performing said backup).

Additionally, I'm not really awake at 3:30 a.m. on Saturday mornings to perform the task of hiding SD so that it can complete this weekly full backup. Any suggestions?

Or, are you suggesting that I should perform this full backup 1 time only (manually) and then just rely on Smart Updates from then on? I'm sure I can do that... but it sure feels good to know that I have a new, clean full backup each and every Saturday.

Did I mention that I am a photographer? A safe, reliable backup solution is a necessity in my profession. Other than this problem, I absolutely love SuperDuper. It's fast, easy and clean.

Thanks again for any help you can offer...

dnanian
12-27-2006, 06:18 PM
I don't know why it's not happening with a manual backup: given the nature of the underlying problem, it should. But, regardless, I'd suggest using Smart Update. Re-writing the drive every week doesn't really help much, and in fact causes additional wear: something that's not necessary or helpful.

beharkey
12-27-2006, 10:52 PM
Thanks, Dave!