PDA

View Full Version : Backup from a network drive

titib
12-22-2006, 12:43 PM
Hello,

I have to make a backup from an network drive (formattet in HSF+) to a local drive (external usb disk).
But the network disk doesn't happear in the "From" menu. I looked in user guide but I didn't understood what to do to make a backup From a network drive.

Thanks a lot.

titib.

dnanian
12-22-2006, 12:45 PM
Unfortunately you can't with SuperDuper! -- we don't support backing up a network drive.

titib
12-22-2006, 12:54 PM
Anyway, to do this, the only way is to install SuperDuper! on the server, make my external usb drive, as a destination.
Is it possible like this?

dnanian
12-22-2006, 01:10 PM
We can copy a local volume as long as it's formatted as HFS+ (Mac OS Extended). We can't back up directly from or to Network volumes, but we can back up *to* a disk image stored on a network volume, as described in the User's Guide. So, if you store a disk image on the USB drive (or connect it directly to the server), yes.

titib
12-23-2006, 11:28 AM
thanks a lot for yours answers.

I'm sorry to ask you this question, but why is it impossible to backup on network volumes? Is it so hard to code this kind of things?

titib

dnanian
12-23-2006, 01:22 PM
Because you can't authorize against network volumes in a way that allows ownership and other metadata to be copied properly (unless you're running an "agent" on the networked computer that you can communicate with).

titib
12-23-2006, 01:24 PM
thanks for you explanations.

titib