PDA

View Full Version : Odd behaviour?

xUKHCx
12-14-2006, 09:31 PM
I had a backup of my entire computer on my external. I erased the external and partitioned it with Disk Utility. I run SuperDuper to make a new clone of my internal to a partition on the external. After 15 minutes of SuperDuper it reports that it has finished copying 200GB worth of data. Naturally i think that the program is wrongly reporting the situation. So i look at the contents of the external and it is all there.

So can SuperDuper find deleted files on the external because no way did it copy that data over in 15 minutes (USB2). Usually if i run it without changing anything it normally takes 9 minutes just to check. So in 6 minutes it copied 200 GB of data. I think that it saw the data on the drive, made it visible to Finder and copied some information that is now under the second partition. Which is cool because i thought i would have to leave it overnight to copy but also weird. Im doing to boot from it now so see you on the other side.

dnanian
12-14-2006, 09:41 PM
That's really weird and -- you're right -- doesn't make sense. It sounds like you didn't really partition it or something. We definitely don't magically locate deleted files!

xUKHCx
12-14-2006, 10:07 PM
That's really weird and -- you're right -- doesn't make sense. It sounds like you didn't really partition it or something. We definitely don't magically locate deleted files!

Im back, boots fine. One slight point according to Get Info of both drives my Internal is 6 Gb larger than the External and this information is not being found by Superduper. I will keep an eye on this. I do actually have another copy of my important data on another external drive and on DVD's (they are about a month old though) As you can see i am a bit of a backup freak.

dnanian
12-14-2006, 10:10 PM
It's not that it's not being found -- it's likely being ignored for a reason. If I had to guess, it's a folder in /Volumes that's the remnant of a failed copy at one point or another... or a file in /tmp.

xUKHCx
12-14-2006, 10:20 PM
It sounds like you didn't really partition it or something. We definitely don't magically locate deleted files!

The drive was definitely partitioned, appears as two partitions on the desktop and in diskutil list. And way empty before i ran the backup, both in finder and in terminal.

It's not that it's not being found -- it's likely being ignored for a reason. If I had to guess, it's a folder in /Volumes that's the remnant of a failed copy at one point or another... or a file in /tmp.

You're good and very quick response, remnant of a failed copy.

dnanian
12-14-2006, 10:45 PM
I really can't explain why things copied so quickly -- I wish I could, but I can't. But I'm glad you found the bogus folder.