PDA

View Full Version : Mac Pro vs. SD

kimonostereo
12-11-2006, 05:40 PM
Hi all,

I'm running a Mac Pro with 10.4.8 Server and have noticed that when I run SD it will do it's thing sometimes and at other times crashes. Then a short while later Activity Monitor will crash and sometimes Perl as well. I'm not sure how any of this is related but I tried not running SuperDuper for a couple of weeks and noticed the Activity Monitor will only crash when I run Super Duper. Is this a known issue?

From following along I assume this is a problem with 10.4.8 and not SD or am I mistaken?

aloha!

dnanian
12-11-2006, 05:49 PM
That's right: this is the bug in OSX 10.4.8 that's hitting SuperDuper! and other apps. If you hide SuperDuper! during the backup the crashes shouldn't happen...

kimonostereo
12-11-2006, 06:46 PM
Interestingly enough, I hid SuperDuper today and it did it's thing but shortly afterward the Activity Monitor bit the dust.

I'm wondering if I have to hide both while SD is running?

dnanian
12-11-2006, 06:57 PM
The disk activity and memory use likely aggravates the OSX bug, so hiding both might help.

davep
12-12-2006, 08:27 AM
Dave -- Is this bug Intel-only? Has Apple documented this bug for the developer community? (I'm not familiar with Apple's processes.) Thanks.

dnanian
12-12-2006, 09:12 AM
The bug is Intel-only, as far as we can tell. Apple doesn't really document these things like that, no...