PDA

View Full Version : Backup and Restore to Newly Partitioned Hard Drive

Peterbart
11-13-2006, 10:00 PM
I don't want to mess this up, and I was wondering if anyone out there has some advice for how to do this.

I have a PB G4 with a 75GB hard drive. The drive has been acting up lately, so I want to (a) back up the drive onto an external hard drive using Super Duper; (b) erase the internal hard drive and then partition it (OSX, Applications, Data, etc.); and (c) restore the data from the external drive into the relevant partitions. I can easily accomplish a & b, but I am not too clear on how to restore the data into the partitioned hard drive. If anyone has some advice for me, or can point me in the right direction, it would be much appreciated.

dnanian
11-13-2006, 10:06 PM
See the section of the User's Guide entitled "Recovering from a disaster", Peter -- I think it'll help quite a bit. Once you're through that, if you have further questions, stop on by and ask! :)

Peterbart
11-13-2006, 10:31 PM
Thanks for the quick response Dave. I took your advice and read the relevant section, but I am still a bit confused. At present, I only have one partition on my hard drive. I want to back up the entire drive to an external, partition the internal hard drive, and then restore the whole mess to distinct partitions. Specifically, how do I get OSX into the booting partition, Applications into the Applications partition, and the User data into the User partitions, since they weren't in those partitions before the backup?

Thanks in advance

dnanian
11-13-2006, 10:36 PM
My mistake, Peter: I jumped to a conclusion too quickly.

Why are you going to partition the drive this way?

Peterbart
11-14-2006, 09:48 AM
I was under the impression that it is 'safer' to have the hard drive partitioned. Is this a myth?

dnanian
11-14-2006, 10:18 AM
I certainly consider it to be a myth. I don't think it has any real benefits at all.