PDA

View Full Version : going from g4 to intel

nephron
11-01-2006, 03:12 PM
My powerbook G4 was stollen and my macbook pro arrives today.

I have a complete backup on an external HD. How do I restore all of my files etc. without fracking the intel OS?

dnanian
11-01-2006, 03:29 PM
Use the Migration Assistant to migrate from the backup to the new Mac. (It'll appear during the first boot of the MacBook...)

Dradu
03-16-2007, 05:45 PM
Hey, I'm having the same problem, my iBook G4 was just stolen, I ordered a Macbook.

I was wondering if it is safe to import everything from my iBook's firewire backup?

The Migration Assistant has several options..
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/ff/Migration_Assistant_basic_info_screen.png

I was wondering if the Macbook's OS would get screwed if I transfered the network and machine settings from my PPC iBook?

I think I'm only going to import the Users and the Applications, because I am buying a new Airport Extreme, and I won't need my old network settings.

I am afraid that importing the PPC machine settings will overwrite the current intel drivers for printers and such.

Anyway, what do you think?

dnanian
03-16-2007, 06:17 PM
Transfer away! The whole reason it's there is to do exactly this, and even from Power PC to Intel, no problem.

Dradu
03-31-2007, 03:46 PM
Hey, just wanted to post back, and I am happy to say that I transfered everything from my firewire backup to my new Macbook, and it works flawlessly!

Also, a side note: I recently replaced a Power Mac G4 with a new Mac Mini, and it took about 3 hours to transfer 20 gigs of data with the Migration Assistant. When i did the Migration Assistant for my new Macbook using the firewire backup, it took only 11 minutes, and I was transfering well over 25 gigs!

So, people moving from one Mac to another, I recomend using your firewire backup for the Migration Assistant, it'll save you loads of time!

dnanian
03-31-2007, 04:02 PM
Congratulations: enjoy the new Mac!