PDA

View Full Version : S.D. always fails with Mac OS 10.4.8

danM
10-16-2006, 07:30 PM
I just can not get S.D. to work with Mac OS 10.4.8. on an Intel Mac Mini.

A full clone always stops when the blue progress band is about 75% of the way along to the end. The S.D. display just vanishes and the clone is incomplete.

I'm told there is a graphical problem which affects S.D. sometimes - but I always have the problem.

Has anyone any solution - otherwise Super Duper is unusable.

Dan.

dnanian
10-16-2006, 09:59 PM
This is, unfortunately, a bug in 10.4.8 that's not SuperDuper! specific, and seems to be affecting some users. It's intermittent for most, but obviously not you.

We've reported it to Apple and are trying to come up with a workaround internally, too... I'm sorry for the frustration!

danM
10-17-2006, 03:33 AM
While I accept the above - I was hoping some member might have found a solution, if indeed one is possible. Does any other forum member have similar trouble ?

dan

dnanian
10-17-2006, 11:49 AM
The real solution, for now, is to go to 10.4.7 instead (if you're not using a Sandbox, you can archive-and-install to your base version and update to 10.4.7 with a download).

I realize this is frustrating and annoying; we're doing our best at this end to come up with a workaround.

(The problem seems to be with threaded access to window updates; our progress indicator is set to update on its own thread, and the "main thread" updates too. But Core Graphics -- which handles the low level updating -- looks to be having a new problem with locking, and crashes either the main thread or the progress indicator thread when there's contention...)

danM
10-17-2006, 12:11 PM
I do hope you succeed. In the meantime I'm surprised that more users are not reporting the same trouble - is the type of Mac a factor, or is the problem
likely on any Mac running 10.4.8 ?

dan

dnanian
10-17-2006, 12:29 PM
Honestly, I don't know -- it doesn't happen to me on any of my Macs, but it definitely seems to be Intel-specific.

Budgie
10-17-2006, 02:20 PM
Hi

No problems here, on any of my Mac's, G5 PPC 2ghz, iMac (4.1) 2ghz Intel, G4 PPC 800 mhz, and my OSX Server, all machines are running 10.4.8 with SD and doing it sweetly.

Budgie

danM
10-18-2006, 04:59 AM
Tried again this morning to use Super D. to clone all - came back to discover a black screen containing this ----

"Darwin/BSD (Dan-0.local)(console)
login oct 18 09:19:05 Dan-0 diskarbitrational [41]:
SD copy[366]:32935 not responding"

Now what is the matter ? (Dan-0 is computer name.)

dnanian
10-18-2006, 09:03 AM
It sounds like your Mac crashed, Dan, likely because the destination drive failed pretty badly during the copy.

edalzell
10-18-2006, 11:16 AM
(The problem seems to be with threaded access to window updates; our progress indicator is set to update on its own thread, and the "main thread" updates too. But Core Graphics -- which handles the low level updating -- looks to be having a new problem with locking, and crashes either the main thread or the progress indicator thread when there's contention...)

I wonder if it has something to do with the shared video memory of MacBook? Have you noticed any commonality on the machines that they are being run on?

I have a MB so I will try a backup this week and let you know how it goes.

dnanian
10-18-2006, 11:17 AM
It doesn't seem to have to do with that, Ed -- we've seen it on MacBook Pros, too, and they have a dedicated video card.

glenn
10-19-2006, 09:41 PM
It doesn't seem to have to do with that, Ed -- we've seen it on MacBook Pros, too, and they have a dedicated video card.

I've tried SD 2.1.3 on these Intel Macs: Mac Mini, MacBook and Mac Pro and it fails each time. It was working well under 10.4.7 on Intel Mac systems but now it crashes about 75% before completing.

SD 2.1.3 and Mac OS 10.4.8 on any PowerPC system works without any issues for me...

dnanian
10-19-2006, 10:12 PM
Right. I'm not having the problem here -- so it's not consistent -- but we are aware of the issue, we've reported to Apple, and they know about it. It is not SuperDuper! specific. How long it might be before they address the underlying problem is anyone's guess.

We're looking into workarounds on our end.

danM
10-21-2006, 05:35 AM
I tried using an alternate cloner, (sorry Super D.)! - it worked OK, but took about 3 times as long to do the clone - so is not usable in the longer term.

dan

dnanian
10-21-2006, 09:13 AM
The problem is not in file copying as such, dan -- it's a graphics problem in Core Graphics...

maccaa
10-21-2006, 02:51 PM
danM, just to complete the Apple range, 20" iMac core duo 10.4.8 having the same issues. 75% then application exit, any update on a resolution?

Cheers

Maccaa

dnanian
10-21-2006, 02:58 PM
It's really not a percentage thing, it's rather intermittent... we're trying to work around the problem...

maccaa
10-21-2006, 06:52 PM
dnanian, appreciate your efforts.

Thanks

Maccaa

jivan
10-24-2006, 07:49 PM
I'm having the same problem on my 20" iMac Core 2 Duo with 10.4.8.

Up 'till 10.4.8 and this machine (it's new), SD worked like a charm. Fails at all different spots for me...not just 75%. Right now it's hung at about 45% of about 375GB. Occurs for me about 50% of the time I try to do a smart update.

On one of the hangs, an attempt to force quit and re-mount my FireWire RAID drive found my RAID munged. I had to reformat and create a new RAID to get it working again. Thankfully, it's "only" my backup drive and not original data.

I can usually fix it by starting over with a erase/backup session, but that's WAY longer than a smart update when only a few files have changed.

Workaround or Apple fix, it would be nice to get this resolved. I've learned the hard way not to get too far behind in backups, but hangs during backups scare me, too.

Thx.

dnanian
10-24-2006, 08:02 PM
This is an entirely different issue, jivan. If your RAID is munged and is failing strangely, you're having a hardware problem with the drive... anything else on FireWire?

dnanian
10-26-2006, 09:38 AM
Glenn --

We've now had a number of users report that this problem is fixed if you use the Tiger disc that came with your Mac to install the original copy of Tiger (using Archive-and-install, so your data isn't touched), then download and apply the Combo update to get back to 10.4.8.

Could you give that a try and let me know if it fixes things for you?

dnanian
10-26-2006, 09:39 AM
(Jivan and "maccaa" -- please see my note to Glenn, above -- I'd like to see if this works for you, too.)

Vince-from fr
10-26-2006, 06:20 PM
Same problem to me : Mac OS X 10.4.8 + Intel MacBook Pro + SD 2.1.3 = crash.
My solution : reboot with deactivated extensions.
The clone I made on an external FW disk is fully usable.
Hope this solution will help some lost users.

dnanian
10-26-2006, 10:47 PM
Hey, Vince -- could you try my suggestion above and see if that works?

maccaa
10-27-2006, 09:10 AM
Hmmm,

dnanian, took the plunge this morning, reloaded OS X from install disk then went on to update to combo 10.4.8...took a little time! checked that all out ok.

Then went to run super duper...1st time it crashed after about 4-5 mins,restarted it, second time it worked, full back up no problem. Now I have a reliable back up I am a little hesitant to try again to check if the first time I was just unlucky, maybe Jivan and Glenn can give it a go as well to see how they get on and report back. If they are also successful I will be confident.

I await a report fron J and G.

Cheers

Maccaa

dnanian
10-27-2006, 09:41 AM
Could you send me the crash report from the failure? (Send it to support via email.)

maccaa
10-27-2006, 09:59 AM
Hi dnanian,

log sent via the "send to shirt pocket" button in the log screen

Is that how you wanted it? or a copy and paste job.

Sorry not very good with these "log" thingys

Maccaa

dnanian
10-27-2006, 10:07 AM
Perfect; thanks.

Vince-from fr
10-28-2006, 04:22 AM
Sorry dnanian, but I use that computer for my work, and I have a lot of other sofware installed. I can't take the risk to reinstall all that as long as I haven't a sure solution to recover my system (like SuperDuper! indeed ;))
But I can send you my old SD crash logs if you want.

dnanian
10-28-2006, 10:00 AM
Nope, unnecessary. While this seems to work for a few people, we've had one report that it didn't fix things.

It's likely your crash log is exactly the same as all the others.

Unless we come up with something brilliant, it looks like we're going to have to wait for Apple to fix this bug.

dnanian
10-29-2006, 09:05 AM
OK, thanks. This really seems to be a general problem in 10.4.8. It's hitting us along with other applications.

If this is happening to you, I strongly suggest sticking with 10.4.7 until Apple addresses the issue.

sfm
10-29-2006, 09:05 AM
MacBook 2GhZ; 2 GB RAM, purchased 3 weeks ago.

MacBook came with OSX v10.4.6. SD v2.1.3 worked fine.
Apple Software Update (ASU) to v10.4.7. SD v2.1.3 worked fine.
ASU JSE and Quicktime. SD v2.1.3 works fine.
ASU to v10.4.8. SD v2.1.3 no longer works - crashes SD itself, with crash report, and/or crashes all the way back to the finder login, with no crash report.
(also had similar crashes of TextEdit and Microsoft Office Word 2004 (with latest updates.))
Reported to Shirt Pocket and Apple (they didn't seem to like it much that both one of their apps and a Microsoft app also crashed, probably because it points toward an Apple problem.)
Did all the Apple suggestions (PMMU etc. etc.), and also deleted SD preferences and downloaded another SD copy. SD still crashes.

Archive and reinstall v10.4.6.
ASU to v10.4.7.
ASU JSE and Quicktime. SD v2.1.3 works.

ASU fan firmware update.
Combo update to v10.4.8. SD v2.1.3 crashes again.

Archive and reinstall v10.4.6.
Delete previous system folder.
Combo update directly to v10.4.8. SD v2.1.3 crashes again, although it makes it 99% of the way through a full backup before crashing, the farthest so far.
ASU JSE and Quicktime. SD v2.1.3 still crashes.

Archive and reinstall v10.4.6 again.
Delete previous system folder.
ASU JSE and Quicktime.
Combo update to v10.4.7. SD v2.1.3 works again.

(I also tried backing up using a USB connection to my external backup hard drive, instead of my normal firewire connection. No change - SD still crashes.)

I'll stop fiddling now...

I observed one thing that may or may not be helpful to diagnose this issue further:

1. I have multiple hard drives that I backup to. After discovering that I needed to partition using the GUID format, not the APM format, to make a bootable Intel backup, I did that. I have noticed that the original names that I give to the partition that I'm attempting to backup to are usually CHANGED after the attempted backup. A space and the number 1 is added to the end of that partition name, - the changed name is visible in the SD drive list, and in the Disk Utility partition list on the left, but NOT in the Disk Utility partition name when I go to the partition tab, and NOT in the finder. Weird.

Also, if you have multiple computers and hard drives, I discovered that I can make a backup of the MacBook with OSX v10.4.8 installed using SD v2.1.3 on another computer, in this kludged way:

Start up from one of my other PowerBooks, with OSX v10.4.8.
Connect to the MacBook (with OSX v10.4.8) in the firewire target disk mode.
Chain a backup hard drive with another firewire cable.
Use SD v2.1.3 and select the firewire target mode MacBook as the backup source, and the backup firewire hard drive as the destination.
Backup completes, although more slowly than when doing it directly from the source MacBook drive itself (with OSX v10.4.7, since SD 2.1.3 crashes with v10.4.8 on the MacBook, as described above.)

dnanian
10-29-2006, 09:08 AM
Thanks for the additional information. As I said above, this pretty much confirms what I feared: 10.4.8 has a bug, and -- unfortunately -- its intermittent nature causes some "mystery" fixes (like a combo update application) to "look" like it works, but it doesn't.

The only fix for this at present is to go back to 10.4.7. We've got some ways to "shrink the window" where the bug happens (which has to do with screen updates), which should help to minimize the effect. But we can only do so much, alas.

adam78
11-05-2006, 04:34 AM
I think I'm having the same problem. Macbook Pro, 10.4.8. SuperDuper previously worked well backing up to an external Firewire drive when I was running 10.4.7. Now the backup gets about 60-70% through (according to progress bar) and perhaps more (according to the count of the files analysed), and stalls. My CPU usage goes through the roof and practically locks up my system. :( Just wanted to let you know.

dnanian
11-05-2006, 10:18 AM
No, that's an entirely different problem, actually. Open the Activity Monitor and look to see what's taking all the CPU when things have trouble...

Vince-from fr
11-05-2006, 11:26 AM
Did some tried my little solution : to start with all extensions deactivated ? It worked for me.

maccaa
11-06-2006, 07:52 AM
Hi Vince,

Can you explain how do you disable extensions?

Maccaa

MacVmUser
11-06-2006, 12:46 PM
Did some tried my little solution : to start with all extensions deactivated ? It worked for me.

I'd also like to know if this is a valid workaround.

Beyond that, has Apple resolved this issue yet? Is it now safe to update to 10.4.8... or should we stay with 10.4.7 to ensure continued operation of S.D. on intel-based Macs?

Thanks for this thread!

dnanian
11-06-2006, 12:47 PM
This has not been resolved. Please stick with 10.4.7 for now: it's the surest "workaround"...

jivan
11-07-2006, 01:54 PM
This is an entirely different issue, jivan. If your RAID is munged and is failing strangely, you're having a hardware problem with the drive... anything else on FireWire?
Sorry for the delayed reply. I think it's the same issue. The munged RAID only occurred once, but I think it was caused by having to hot restart the drive to get it to reappear after my iMac hung. Maybe it was still being written to at the time. I'm having the same problems as everyone else on this thread. No more problems with munged RAID, but consistent hangs.

No other items on the FW bus.

FWIW, I'm getting hangs with Carbon Copy Cloner as well. Hope a fix comes in from Apple (or you guys find a workaround). The only working backup solution seems to be Apple's and that's a lousy one.

Thx.

crooner
11-09-2006, 07:09 PM
<snip>
Unless we come up with something brilliant, it looks like we're going to have to wait for Apple to fix this bug.

Wait a minute. Unless? UNLESS?!? Dave, it's your purpose to come up with something brilliant on a regular basis. I'd say, off the top of my head, you should be coming up with at least one brilliant idea every 36 hours. Anything less and my confidence will be shattered.

I'm too upset to even talk now...

;)
:D :D :D :D :D

crooner - the singing geek

crooner
11-09-2006, 07:38 PM
Okay, wise-ass mode officially off.

From what everyone seems to be saying, am I safe in assuming that this issue does not occur on PPC systems running 10.4.8?

(I actually still haven't updated to .8. I've heard of other oddities regarding its installation and am holding out.)

BTW, what Dave mentioned earlier as a possible/worth a try solution regarding using the Combo Updater reminded me to put in my 2˘... ALWAYS download and use the combo updater from Apple. Never (if at all possible) let Software Update just do it for you. Maybe I'm paranoid or overly cautious, but regularly advising about 15 friends on what to do when their Macs get funky I usually find that they let Software Update run rampant like a streaker at a soccer game.

And while we're here, let me shed a little sunshine on Dave and SuperDuper!

I came across a blog on the 'net that was linked from one of today's articles on MacFixIt:

http://blog.plasticsfuture.org/2006/04/23/mac-backup-software-harmful/

This article (the blog) essentially is a thorough, independent test of what looks like all of the available GUI driven backup solutions for the Mac. They are rated from Highly Recommended to Avoid At All Cost.

ONE title was given the highly coveted "Highly Recommended" recommendation (along with a side note that it does everything right and nothing it shouldn’t do).

And that software was... Mitch Cummstien, my college roommate...
Sorry, had a Chevy Chase/CaddyShack flashback there for a second.

And that software was SD! No other software scored as high. So keep swingin' (in every sense of the word), Dave. And don't worry folks... if there's a fix to be found before Apple gets around to it, Dave and the crew at Shirt Pocket will find it.

crooner - the singing geek

dnanian
11-09-2006, 07:41 PM
That's right: every report of this we've seen is on Intel Macs running 10.4.8. It doesn't look like the Combo update actually resolves the issue, though.

Thanks for the nice comments. After the recent flood of Version Tracker one-star reviews, it's nice to get something positive! :)

crooner
11-09-2006, 09:41 PM
I just left some good feedback on VT.
Your troops won't let you down.

dnanian
11-09-2006, 09:48 PM
Jeez, don't consider yourself "troops", people -- that wasn't intended to beg for feedback! :) (But thanks!)

loosegroove
11-10-2006, 10:41 PM
It doesn't look like the Combo update actually resolves the issue, though.

I can confirm that the Combo update does not resolve the issue. I always run the Combo updater rather than the Software Update Delta version and I was still hit with the bug.

I was actually able to get SD back in working order but what I did is definitely not classified as a "fix" nor will it necessarily work for in your case.

What worked for me was I deleted all of the scheduled backups I had and then I recreated them. I use to have a daily backup at 2AM that began failing due to this bug but after I deleted that scheduled backup and recreated a new one that now runs at 1AM, I have had no problems.

It may be a fluke and the problem may come back, but I'm running fine now and I don't want to jinx it.

dnanian
11-10-2006, 10:48 PM
I think it's a fluke, but it might be a fluke due to the system being less active at 1am: the level of system activity seems to have an effect on the bug.

danM
11-11-2006, 08:01 AM
I never thought what looked like a minor comment would elicit so much grief.

What became of the "extensions deactivated" theory ? Was this a solution, and if so how does one actually "deactivate" ?

dan

Voix
11-11-2006, 08:32 AM
I just bought SD a couple weeks ago. All of my backups, which are suppposed to be clones of the entire drive, result in missing files/folders, and the drive is never the same size as the original. Is my problem the same as that posted here or something different?

I've tried Smart Update and erase then backup with the same results. This is on a new Intel Mac Mini 1.83 1GB RAM running 10.4.8 with two external 300GB Firewire drives. I'm not using the Mini's internal drive.

dnanian
11-11-2006, 11:08 AM
There really aren't "extensions" in OSX, so I don't lend much credence to this. You can try booting in "Safe Boot" (Shift during power on through to login), but my guess is while this minimizes the effect (since you're unlikely to be doing much else with your Mac) it doesn't resolve much of anything.

dnanian
11-11-2006, 11:09 AM
"Backup - all files", as indicated in the "What's going to happen?" section, ignores temporary, VM swap and other system-specific files that have no meaning across a restart (or might interfere with startup on a different Mac), so your copies won't be the same size...

Voix
11-11-2006, 11:53 AM
"Backup - all files", as indicated in the "What's going to happen?" section, ignores temporary, VM swap and other system-specific files that have no meaning across a restart (or might interfere with startup on a different Mac), so your copies won't be the same size...

But I'm missing my entire "Sites" folder. None of my Web sites have been backed up, and the size difference in the drives is in the gigabytes.

dnanian
11-11-2006, 11:54 AM
I'd need to see a log from one of these runs, Voix: please send it to the support email address.

Vince-from fr
11-18-2006, 07:38 PM
Hi Vince,

Can you explain how do you disable extensions?

Maccaa
Sorry to answer so late : I have a lot of work to finish. To disable all extension, you have to restart with the shift key pressed. That's all...

RadarOnPaws
11-20-2006, 04:48 PM
I'm not sure if I'm having the same problem or not, but lately SD will not run scheduled backups without crashing. It just crashes and closes sometime during the backup, the "last run" indicator on the backup schedule is blank, and no log is produced which makes knowing what happened impossible.

I can run backups manually just fine. I've checked disk permissions, etc. I really haven't changed anything on my system and yet SD no longer wants to cooperate.

I have no issues with any of my other apps crashing.

dnanian
11-20-2006, 05:02 PM
There's really no difference between a scheduled and a regular backup, RadarOnPaws... but what you've likely changed on your system is updating to 10.4.8, which has a bug in it that's causing us to crash...

RadarOnPaws
11-20-2006, 05:18 PM
There's really no difference between a scheduled and a regular backup, RadarOnPaws... but what you've likely changed on your system is updating to 10.4.8, which has a bug in it that's causing us to crash...

I updated to 10.4.8 long before this started... and why aren't any of my other apps affected by this? If this is an OS X problem, you'd expect crashes of other apps, especially ones I run all the time for a long period of time. They all make graphics calls.

Can I email you the crash logs for the last two SD crashes (it shows both types of errors I am getting)? I am getting Exec_Bad_Instruction and Exec_Bad_Access failures.

dnanian
11-20-2006, 06:11 PM
Please feel free to mail the logs.

This affects SD! more because we're running a progress bar and a panel with a button for a long period of time, while extensive disk access is happening... this seems to aggravate the situation. But SD! itself hasn't changed either, not since July or so... and this problem started with 10.4.8.

If you roll back to 10.4.7, I guarantee the problem won't occur...

RadarOnPaws
11-20-2006, 06:52 PM
Just as a follow up, I emailed my logs to Dave and he confirmed the issue is the graphics one he notified Apple of...

Thanks.

RadarOnPaws
11-28-2006, 03:20 PM
Follow up again, I switched my screen saver back to one of the OS X standard issue ones and have not had the problem since.

Could be coincidence though as I think when SD launches the screen saver goes off anyway.

davecc
11-29-2006, 08:48 AM
Please feel free to mail the logs.

This affects SD! more because we're running a progress bar and a panel with a button for a long period of time, while extensive disk access is happening... this seems to aggravate the situation. But SD! itself hasn't changed either, not since July or so... and this problem started with 10.4.8.

If you roll back to 10.4.7, I guarantee the problem won't occur...

Hi Dave,

How are you? I am expecting my new intel 2.66 MacPro today and hope that it comes with 10.4.7 installed. I depend on SuperDuper at least twice a week and hope that Apple fixes this bug real soon.

Kindest Regards,
David

dnanian
11-29-2006, 09:52 AM
You and me both, David.

mkscottgbr
11-29-2006, 04:56 PM
Hi

I'm equally frustrated that SD runs on my iBook and iMac (both power pc) on 10.4.8 but not on my MacBook Pro. I get this message:

| 09:47:27 PM | Error | 2006-11-29 21:47:27.830 SDCopy[328] NSExceptionHandler has recorded the following exception:
| 09:47:27 PM | Error | NSUncaughtSystemExceptionException -- Uncaught system exception: signal 11
| 09:47:27 PM | Error | Stack trace: 0xebebebeb

What does that mean? The error message comes up almost straight away.

Thanks for any help.

Michael

dnanian
11-29-2006, 05:59 PM
Yep -- it's a bad migration of SD. Please delete your copy and re-download from the Shirt Pocket site.

davecc
11-29-2006, 07:22 PM
You and me both, David.

Hi Dave,

My new Intel MacPro 2.66 came with 10.4.7 installed. Lucky me.

The dealer I got the Mac from said that all new Intel Macs that he orderd for his customers recently came with 10.4.7 installed and wondered why not 10.4.8. Maybe there is real problem with 10.4.8

I'll try it out tomorrow and promptly report my findings to you.

Regards,
David

dnanian
11-29-2006, 08:18 PM
Sounds great, David.

mkscottgbr
11-30-2006, 05:02 PM
Hi Dave

thanks for the advice, SD now working fine on the MacBook Pro, 10.4.8, thank goodness, for a moment there thought I might have to use Retrospect Exress!

Cheers!

Michael

dnanian
11-30-2006, 05:06 PM
Glad I could help, Michael. (Phew!)

davecc
12-01-2006, 11:37 AM
Hi Dave,

I Cloned my two external firewire G-Tech drives which took 59 minutes each without a hitch.

Regards,
David
MacPro 2.66 10.4.7

dnanian
12-01-2006, 12:14 PM
Also good to hear, David!

dnanian
12-06-2006, 03:43 PM
Could a user who's experiencing the 10.4.8 crash problem please drop me a line via support ASAP?

Thanks!

Vince-from fr
12-26-2006, 06:04 AM
Well, as I see this thread is dying, I have a little question : is SuperDuper usable on Intel based Mac with 10.4.8 or should we wait for 10.4.9 ?
Isn't it possible to use other graphic objects that don't crash SD in a 2.14 version ?
Happy new year to everybody...

dnanian
12-26-2006, 09:24 AM
It's usable under 10.4.8. Hide SuperDuper! during your first backup with 10.4.8 -- it's likely that it won't have further problems with Smart Updates with subsequent backups.

jivan
01-15-2007, 02:03 PM
I'm still having the same problem on my Core 2 Duo iMac w/10.4.8. It's unusable on ANY first backup even when I hide or minimize SD. Switching back after waiting 24 hours (just to be safe) shows it hung early in the process. Tried repeatedly.

Maybe it's both Intel and the amount being backed up? I'm trying to back up 320GB. Maybe successful backups here are less data?

I am actually able to get Carbon Copy Cloner to work. Even though I don't like it as much as SD, having a backup--even if it takes forever--is better than not having one at all. Still makes me think there could be a workaround from the SD side if CCC works in 10.4.8.

If there's been an update on the issue, please post. Would be nice to use SD again. Maybe I missed a fix somewhere in this thread, or are we all waiting for 10.4.9 and shelving SD 'till then?

Thanks...

dnanian
01-15-2007, 02:05 PM
There's a huge difference between a "hang early in the process" and a crash, jivan. Which are you experiencing?

We're quite confident that we understand the bug in the OS and that it's going to be fixed in 10.4.9...

jivan
01-15-2007, 02:21 PM
Thanks for the quick reply!

I'm trying to remember if I have had a crash as some have noted in this thread. I've been mostly seeing a hang since 10.4.9, where the SD progress bar never progresses past a certain point...even when left for 24-48 hours. That point can be early in the process or as far as 75% through. Have to force-quit SD to recover. Looks like there may have been others in this thread with the same or similar problems.

I'm a bit hesitant to try to wipe my successful CCC backup now to test this out (only have one main backup drive)...since I at least have a backup now. What I was hoping was that there was a fix I missed somewhere along the thread since it seems to have died down.

If it would really help, I could try this, but it sounds like there isn't a workaround...just wait?

BTW, anyone have any intel (no pun intended) on when 10.4.9 will be released? I'm having SD withdrawls.

Thanks,

Jason

dnanian
01-15-2007, 02:23 PM
If the copy is hanging and you have to force quit to recover, you're hitting a bug with your drive/FireWire/USB bus: it's locked up under load. What brand/model of drive is it, and what else is on the bus with it?

edalzell
01-15-2007, 02:24 PM
BTW, anyone have any intel (no pun intended) on when 10.4.9 will be released?

http://appleinsider.com/article.php?id=2397

jivan
01-15-2007, 02:37 PM
I'm backing up to a FireWire RAID box. Not sure what FW interface it uses. I have ONLY that connected to FW bus during backup...well and the built-in iSight in the iMac, but I can't remove that. Using Apple's Disk Utility to SW RAID-0 the three Seagate drives in it. Tried both HFS+ and Journaled formats.

It may be a FireWire/RAID problem, but SD worked flawlessly for me 'till 10.4.8, and CCC is working for me now. Also, just remember that I backed up a bunch of data off a G4 desktop and Titanium G4 a while ago...both worked fine to this drive. That's why it seemed related to or the same as the Intel/10.4.8 issue.

Thanks for the AI link. I've seen that, but it just shows that Apple released a "pre-release" build to devs. No talk of an EXTERNAL release date. Well, Apple's usually tight-lipped about this...

jivan
01-15-2007, 02:44 PM
Oh, one interesting note from the AI article:

"Mac OS X 10.4.9 will also reportedly address glitches that have turned up within file systems when users copy read-only files."

Not sure if that' even remotely related. Regardless...looking forward to .4.9.

dnanian
01-15-2007, 02:53 PM
A lockup like that is definitely not the same problem. We (or your system) would crash. If things are locking up, and you have to force quit, that would definitely mean it's locked at a low level, which implies hardware issues.

Of course, 10.4.8 could be contributing to your hardware problems with something I'm not aware of, but what you're reporting here is not something we're aware of.

As far as specific elements of 10.4.9 go, we can't comment, of course.

jivan
01-15-2007, 03:07 PM
O.K. I'll see what 10.4.9 does for me.

If anyone else is seeing similar hangs on Intel Mac (esp. Core 2 Duo) with 10.4.9, it would be helpful to know it's not just my drive suddenly gone bad.

Thanks...