PDA

View Full Version : SuperDuper! and fstab

alset
09-20-2006, 08:06 PM
Hi folks!

I recently edited /etc/fstab to prevent automatic mounting of my backup drives, then scheduled their mount times to coincide with late night backup. What I discovered is that the fstab file seems to prevent SD! from seeing my volumes; SD! only sees the boot volume and the mount-point specified in fstab. I've verified this by changing or removing the option tags and by changing the mount-point to various locations. SD! always lists only the boot drive and the mount-point in its source list.

Has anyone seen this behavior? Is there a workaround available? Any knowledge of how or why this occurs?

Thanks in advance!

Dan

dnanian
09-20-2006, 10:43 PM
I don't know if you saw my response when you emailed your question, but why not eject the drives and let our scheduling driver mount, copy and unmount them automatically?

alset
04-05-2007, 09:36 PM
Hi,

The original reason I configured fstab was to prevent multiple backup drives from mounting automatically when booting my Mac, thus cluttering my desktop and causing gaps between legitimate drives and network mounts after cleanup. I recently decided to look at this issue again and found that specifying a mount-point seems to have caused the issue as I am now leaving that out of the configuration and the issue has been resolved. SD! correctly finds the unmounted drives and my backups are running great!

Figured this might be helpful to someone down the road, so here it is.

Dan