PDA

View Full Version : EMERGENCY! Screwed Up Account Folder On iBook

Mojo
09-14-2006, 10:11 PM
I don't have time to go into details, but I deleted most of my User folder on my iBook. I have a recent backup on an external drive, as well as an up-to-date User folder on my iMac.

How do I replace the hopelessly screwed-up User folder on the iBook with either the backup or User folder on my iMac? I tried dragging the copy from the external drive but the iBook won't allow me to replace my User folder with the backup copies, even though I am logged-in under another admin account. Should I add that I am leaving tomorrow for one month and the iBook is going with me?

(BTW, how does one delete an admin account when there is another admin account?)

dnanian
09-14-2006, 10:15 PM
Boot from the backup, Mojo, and log in as that user. Then, copy the folders in.

Mojo
09-15-2006, 12:54 AM
I got most everything back in place. My main problem now is that moving Eudora mailboxes is a problem; I keep getting messages that the mailboxes are "not properly formatted." When I view one of the problem mailboxes it shows up as a "Unix Executable File" which I know is not correct.

Update: I finally figured out how to fix the problem. For some reason unknow to me certain Eudora files are altered when transferred via a LAN or even burned onto a CD. So I tried putting my iMac into Firewire Disk Mode and transferred the files that way and they remained intact and usable.

Does anyone know why this happens and is there a way to prevent it? It has driven me crazy when I try to keep my Eudora files synced between my iMac and iBook.

dnanian
09-15-2006, 07:51 AM
That's awfully strange. I don't know a LAN would make these kinds of changes -- doesn't make much sense to me.

Mojo
09-15-2006, 11:26 AM
I am using an application called DropCopy that typically archives large folders before sending them on... probably the cause of the problem,now that I think about it.

dnanian
09-15-2006, 11:37 AM
Very, very likely!