PDA

View Full Version : Rollbacks and naming destination volumes

mcg_
09-11-2006, 10:04 PM
I'm planning a weekly backup routeen that will generate 4 weeks of rollback clones of my Macintosh HD to 4 dedicated partitions on my FW drive. (smartupdate of the. OS only, excluding user data)
i.e schedule 'week1' cloning to the partition named 'week1'
schedule 'week2' cloning to partition named 'week2' ... and so on.

If I make the clones 'bootable' will they be ok to use as startup volumes (with the unique names) ?

dnanian
09-12-2006, 10:09 AM
As long as you're properly partitioned as "Apple Partition Map" (PPC and Intel) or GUID (Intel-only), and not MBR (Windows partitioning), you should be just fine.

Before starting up from a volume, if possible, it's best to rename it to the same as the original drive. That way, any aliases stored on the drive will resolve to their "new" locations (on the startup disk) rather than their original (on the original drive). This happens because aliases store the volume name, and if that volume is available... you get the idea, I think.

Hope that helps!

mcg_
09-12-2006, 03:26 PM
Thanks Dave,
Your answer and timing was perfect, I was having trouble unmounting the internal HD for repartitioning. Once the clone booted from was named the same as the internal it unmounted immediately.

dnanian
09-12-2006, 04:59 PM
Great: glad you're set!