PDA

View Full Version : Does this backup time seem right?

rbraley
09-06-2006, 04:56 PM
I'm using SD 2.1.3 (v80) to do a "Backup All Files" on an internal drive with 160GB on it to an image on an external FW400 drive that stores two mac drive images on one partition and a "My Documents" backup from a PC on another partition. The machine is a dual 1.8 G5.

The backup always takes many hours with a very large portion (maybe more than half) of the time coming in the step: After Successful Copy: Converting "mydisk" image to read-only. I'm running one now (typing on another machine) and it's currently at 8:20 and counting.

Does this seem right? If it's way off normal, any ideas what I might have set up wrong?

Thanks for any help!

EDIT: it finally failed out after ~4.5 hours in that "converting disk to read only" step - log forwarded to you. It says not enough room on drive, but that partition is showing 315GB free. ?

dnanian
09-06-2006, 05:20 PM
Unfortunately, since OS X 10.3.9, read-only image conversion has become unreliable. This is due to the low-level imaging frameworks, and happens with all applications that do this, unfortunately.

I suggest using a read/write sparse image instead -- those don't require conversion, and operate more quickly and reliably. Plus, they can be updated.