PDA

View Full Version : ANQ! (another newbie question)

stevenN
08-13-2006, 02:19 PM
I want to backup my iTunes library and iPhoto library that is located on a external HD to another external HD, the one where I backed up my original Macintosh HD with SuperDuper.
Can I do this and how? And can these libraries be updated with just the newer files periodically?
(there is plenty of disk space on the target HD)

thanks!

dnanian
08-13-2006, 04:04 PM
You can't "merge" two volumes with Smart Update, Steven, but you can do a "copy newer" or "copy different". I'm not sure that'll work for you, though, because it won't remove things that you've deleted or renamed, etc.

In general, partial volume syncing is not something we're currently designed to do.

stevenN
08-13-2006, 04:18 PM
You can't "merge" two volumes with Smart Update, Steven, but you can do a "copy newer" or "copy different". I'm not sure that'll work for you, though, because it won't remove things that you've deleted or renamed, etc.

In general, partial volume syncing is not something we're currently designed to do.
I just want to do a general back of my libraries, it doesn't have to sync or Smart Update.
I was worried it would work, adding another backup folder to the bootable backup drive.
Ya see what I'm getting at?

thanks!

dnanian
08-13-2006, 04:32 PM
No, I don't quite see what you're getting at... you could store them in a sparse image alongside other data, but when you update the main backup on the same volume, it'll erase the sparse images.

Could you partition the backup drive?