PDA

View Full Version : Sandbox partition too small

joules
08-01-2006, 08:14 PM
I've given up trying to fix this on my own and really hope that someone here can help. Might help to point out that I'm on my first-ever laptop which also happens to be my first-ever Mac. I've had it since October and my external HD since January and I am FINALLY making myself do regular back-ups.

Hardware:
1) Mac PowerBook G4 (55.89GB internal HD, of which ~30GB is used)
2) 250GB external firewire HD; I partitioned this into two (~60GB = "Back-up" and ~172GB = "Data")

Using the SD Users Guide, I set out and accomplished the following:
1) Backed up "Macintosh HD" onto "Back-up" (using backup all files, erase Back-up/copy files, and Restart from Back-up)
2) I verified the clone that I made -- all was good
3) Partitioned the original drive on my PowerBook (44.74GB = Macintosh HD and 10.9GB = Sandbox). Based on what I had read I thought I had allotted enough space :(

4) Once partitioned, I used SD to restore my original data (from = "Back-up" and to = "Macintosh HD")
5) Set forth to create a Sandbox, using from = "Macintosh HD" and to = "Sandbox" (used shared users/applications script, erase Sandbox/copy files from Macintosh HD option, and startup from Sandbox option)
6) The creation of the clone was never completed -- I checked the log and it indicated that there was no space left in "Sandbox" (I tried doing this a second time, just in case)

I have since tried -- via Disk Utility -- to repartion my internal HD (to make "Sandbox" larger) without luck. Thinking that I might be having problems b/c the Sandbox was being used as the startup disk, I used SD to once again back up "Macintosh HD" to "Back-up" and boot from "Back-up." Still couldn't change the internal HD's partitions -- also haven't been able to erase or dismount "Sandbox." I also tried to do a restore to my system from "Back-up".

So, all my grasping at straws seems for naught and I think that I've only gotten myself more confused!!!! Please help!!!

Thanks so much,
Jen

dnanian
08-01-2006, 08:28 PM
Hi, Jen. It's likely that your Sandbox has to be large because of Garage Band's instrument samples and standard loops. The User's Guide has a section that explains how to create your own Sandbox script, sharing additional items. You can use those general steps, and share /Library/Application Support/Garage Band (which will save almost 3GB), as well as /Library/Application Support/iDVD (which will save 2GB).

Hopefully that'll help get you back on track.

joules
08-11-2006, 03:24 PM
Thanks, Dave -- this did the trick!

dnanian
08-11-2006, 05:27 PM
Glad I could help, Jen.