PDA

View Full Version : Just making sure this can be done...

adamb
07-19-2006, 05:59 PM
I have a Macbook with a 60GB hard drive, and I'm going to upgrade it to a 120GB HD. So my steps are...

1. Create copy of Macintosh HD onto external FW drive.
2. Take out 60GB hard drive, install 120GB hard drive.
3. Boot from OS X CDs, use Disk Utility to copy data from SuperDuper sparseimage on external drive to my new hard drive.
4. Enjoy the extra space.

I just want someone to over my plan so I don't run into any trouble along the way. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

dnanian
07-19-2006, 06:06 PM
I'd much rather see you back up directly to the external drive, rather than to an image... that way, you can test the backup before you erase the drive. Is that possible?

adamb
07-19-2006, 06:46 PM
It's not possible for me to backup directly to the external drive, but if the transfer doesn't work, I can always put the 60GB drive back in my computer until I figure out another way to transfer the data. Why would the image not work?

dnanian
07-19-2006, 07:24 PM
There's no reason for the image to not work. I just hate not being able to test! :-)

Yes, that's fine. Make sure to name the new drive the same as the old, and good luck!

adamb
07-19-2006, 11:40 PM
Thanks for the help, I'll post results!

adam

adamb
07-22-2006, 11:13 AM
jjust to follow up to my own post, i've trasfered everything and it's all working fine, although i didn't do it the way i planned.

it turns out that the disk utility on the macbook install cds doesn't have a restore option. i installed SD on my old iBook, connect my FW hard drive with the image and my new macbook to the iBook, and used SD to transfer. Everything is working beautifully.

Thanks!

dnanian
07-22-2006, 12:24 PM
Glad it's all working, Adam! Congratulations on a successful transfer.