PDA

View Full Version : SuperDuper stalling (again)

Machster
07-19-2006, 10:49 AM
G5 dual 2Ghz (OS X 10.4.7) copying from stock HD (160GB) to WD Raptor 150GB.

1st attempt: SD stalled, would not quit, and froze OS. Reboot OK but Disc Utility could not find HD's. Reboot again.
2nd attempt: SD stalled (elapsed time: 1.5 hours)but copied more. Ran lsof with last 2 lines reading:
SDCopy 704 root 22r VREG 14,5 19405824 13509351 /Users/Shared/earthbrowser2.db
SDCopy 704 root 23u VREG stat(/Volumes/Raptor/Users/Shared/earthbrowser2.db): Operation timed out

Advice?
[Edit: SD will not quit or force quit yet again on the above 2nd attempt. Other applications failing to respond as well. Need to reboot again!]

dnanian
07-19-2006, 11:20 AM
If things are failing to despond, it seems likely that the database above is corrupt or the destination volume is failing to respond due to I/O errors.

Remember: we can't "freeze the OS". We don't have the ability or privileges to do so. We can trigger a freeze in the kernel by simply copying a file that fails, bhe OS is freezing due to low-level I/O problems, well "under" our operation.

So -- what happens if you try to duplicate the earthbrowser2 database above using Finder?

Machster
07-19-2006, 11:40 AM
Remember: we can't "freeze the OS". We don't have the ability or privileges to do so. We can trigger a freeze in the kernel by simply copying a file that fails, bhe OS is freezing due to low-level I/O problems, well "under" our operation.

Never-the-less, to this user it appears that SD is causing bad things to happen. After I attempted to force quite SD (which doesn't), other apps start to hang. Finally at the reboot Finder would not quit and prevented the shutdown. These things do not happen otherwise.

So -- what happens if you try to duplicate the earthbrowser2 database above using Finder?

It copied instantly without a problem in Finder.

dnanian
07-19-2006, 11:53 AM
Right, I understand how it appears, which is why I offered up an explanation. :)

OK, then perhaps the problem is your destination. Is it an internal drive? If so, SATA or ATA?

Machster
07-19-2006, 12:05 PM
Dnanian,

Both drives are internal SATA.

dnanian
07-19-2006, 12:57 PM
OK. The implication in this post (http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/feedback/WD4000_G5problems.html) and the referenced tech note from WD implies that there are issues with the Raptor and some 400+ GB models (too) and the onboard SATA controller. This might explain your problem...

Machster
07-19-2006, 01:28 PM
Right, Dnanian. Although I hooked it up recently, instability only occurred when I started to use SD. Perhaps intensive read/writes triggers it? I will acquire a PCI sata card and report back with the results.

I appreciate the help.

dnanian
07-19-2006, 01:35 PM
I think that's exactly right: intensive I/O probably triggers the problem, whereas "mellower" access works.

I'll await your follow-up. Be aware that not all PCI SATA controllers allow boot... you might want to make sure yours does, or get a non-WD drive as the 2nd one.

Machster
07-22-2006, 01:45 PM
Udate:

I installed a Firmtek PCI SATA card and hooked it up to the new WD raptor. SuperDuper copied to it without a hiccup and without any of the previous instability problems. Case closed.

Thanks, again, dnanian.

dnanian
07-22-2006, 04:04 PM
Great, glad to hear it. It's one of the more obscure OSX incompatibilities out there, I know, but I'm glad I was able to point you in the right direction.