PDA

View Full Version : getting started

kpartridge
07-06-2006, 08:52 PM
I just downloaded SD today and made my first attempt at backing up from a G4 PB to an OWC 250G Mercury firewire external drive. I did not attempt a partition, b/c I was very unfamiliar with it, and unsure of how much space I should partition. I already have other docs on the external. So I was doing an image. After 3 hours, it still said that it was erasing the image file I was placing it in. Am I doing something wrong or is this how long it should take for the first time. thanks for your help.

dnanian
07-06-2006, 10:20 PM
No, it shouldn't take that long to erase an image... please cancel what you've got running and delete the image file from the destination volume. Then, restart your Mac and give it another shot.

kpartridge
07-06-2006, 11:19 PM
I deleted the image file, restarted my mac, and started over. so far it says it has been erasing the new image file for 40 minutes. wasn't sure how long is reasonable. didn't think it should take long since it is a new image file.

dnanian
07-06-2006, 11:23 PM
That doesn't sound right either. Are you running any low-level software on your system, like AntiVirus?

kpartridge
07-06-2006, 11:26 PM
no antivirus, or anything like it.

dnanian
07-06-2006, 11:31 PM
OK. Please generate a System Profiler report and send it into the support address. To do so, run System Profiler, choose File > Save, save to the default (XML) format. Then, take that file and create an archive from it (Control-click, choose "Create archive"). Take the resulting ZIP and mail it to me at support, and I'll take a look.

kpartridge
07-06-2006, 11:51 PM
my system profiler is hanging up on ATA while trying to save. so I finally forced it to quite, then tried to see my ATA under profiler, and it just kept giving me a spinning gear. so perhaps I have a larger problem than just trying to learn SD. thanks for you help, and your very quick replies

dnanian
07-06-2006, 11:59 PM
No problem: let us know what you figure out when you get your system working properly!