PDA

View Full Version : Stop button not stopping

johncarync
07-06-2006, 12:41 PM
While performing a complete backup of my hard drive I decided I wanted to stop the backup. I clicked the "Stop" button in the lower right corner and...nothing happened. I have clicked it multiple times and it just keeps going. I tried quitting the program and it ignores my request.

I don't want to do a force quit for fear that it might mess up my hard disk.

Is the Stop button supposed to work?

-John

PS: On the positive side, it IS a very pretty Stop button :)

dnanian
07-06-2006, 12:52 PM
That's weird: the stop button should work. How did you start this particular backup? Completely manually, scheduled, scheduled-but-interrupted due to missing volume?

johncarync
07-06-2006, 01:01 PM
That's weird: the stop button should work. How did you start this particular backup? Completely manually, scheduled, scheduled-but-interrupted due to missing volume?
This was a completely manual backup.
1. I turned on my Mac
2. I turned on another Mac in target disk mode (connected by firewire)
3. I started SuperDuper!
4. Set it up to copy my hard disk to the target hard disk
5. "Backup - all files" was selected

It did all of step 1 OK. After 2 hours, it is 1/3 of the way done on step 2 (copy files) at 6MB/s

-John

dnanian
07-06-2006, 01:10 PM
OK. 6MB/s sounds about right. If you open Console, and click Stop, do you get any errors?

johncarync
07-06-2006, 01:30 PM
OK. 6MB/s sounds about right. If you open Console, and click Stop, do you get any errors?
At this point, it's closing in on halfway done. I think I'll just let it run its course and go to lunch. Hopefully it will be done in another 2-3 hours.

My plan was to stop the process, install the hard disk into my Mac in slave mode, and try SuperDuper again. I figured the throughput would be faster that way. What is the MB/s average when copying between two internal serial ATA hard disks?

-John

dnanian
07-06-2006, 01:35 PM
I actually don't know what the throughput would be between two internal drives, John. It'd likely be faster than FireWire, but not hugely. Mostly we're constrained by the I/O subsystem all this stuff goes through: it's much faster on Intel Macs...