PDA

View Full Version : Sandbox too big???

Brent
06-28-2006, 12:31 AM
Hi Dave

Can you tell me if there is anything I can do to help make my Sandbox safety clone smaller?

My machine:
Mac HD 30 gig
Sandox 13.5 gig

I see some folks are only using 4 - 6 gigs of their sandbox. I cannot understand why I need so much more. (13.5 gigs)

My Sandbox library is 9.27 gigs and it looks like Garageband is a major factor.

I am using an 80 gig MacBook Pro so space is a major issue.

Thanks

dnanian
06-28-2006, 09:12 AM
Right, it's likely because of some files in Library, specifically Garage Band. If you share GB's files, it'll help quite a bit. To do so, see the 2nd "copy script" tutorial in the User's Guide. I show how to extend the Sandbox scripts using Soundtrack as an example, but it applies equally well to Garage Band.

Brent
06-28-2006, 12:02 PM
Thanks Dave,

That is tremendously helpful.

I have decided to share three files that should cut my sandbox requirements in half. Is that overkill on my part and how vulnerable am I as a result?

The files are:

1. Library/Application Support/GarageBand
2. Library/Application Support/iDVD
3. Library/Audio/Apple Loops

SD is an awesome app, the manual is brilliant, and the support response time is extraordinary. What more do we want??

I happily recommend this app to all mac users I know.

Thanks

dnanian
06-28-2006, 12:20 PM
You should avoid installing updates to those three applications while on the Sandbox, of course, but apart from that you should be just fine (as long as they support sharing of the files).

Brent
06-28-2006, 12:52 PM
So updates are out of the question unless I:

1. repartion and reclone sandbox without special script (not likely)

2. wait for feedback on those software updates then update my HD directly once they are considered reliable

I would be inclined towards option 2 since there is not much point keeping the apps in the first place if there is no way to update them.

dnanian
06-28-2006, 01:56 PM
Exactly right. Unlike an OS update, those apps aren't especially mission critical for most, so you wouldn't likely be "losing" much should you decline an update for a little while. They can also be easily "rolled back" to your original versions (unlike the OS).

Brent
06-28-2006, 11:01 PM
Thanks Dave.

One final question/confirmation...

If I update directly to my HD and something goes awry, all I need to do is reinstall the app from the mac install discs. No other part of my system is vulnerable during this process??

dnanian
06-28-2006, 11:02 PM
It shouldn't be, Brent, no.

Brent
06-28-2006, 11:16 PM
Dave, I have just tried and get the following message. Any ideas?

| 11:11:03 AM | Error | sh: line 1: /Users/brennan/Library/Application Support/SuperDuper!/Copy Scripts/Sandbox space saving.dset: Permission denied

Do you need to see the rest of the log?

dnanian
06-29-2006, 01:44 AM
Looks like instead of choosing the copy script in the copy script pop-up (the 3rd one), you selected it as a "shell script" in the Advanced tab. Uncheck that option, and choose it in the main window, and it should work.