PDA

View Full Version : Move schedule from cron to LaunchServices?

cheese2
05-26-2006, 01:56 PM
Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere, but are there any plans to move the scheduling function off of cron (which I believe is deprecated in 10.4) to Launch Services? I would find it very useful if my backups would run regardless of which user (if any) was logged in, or even wake from sleep to run - I think Launch Services can do that?

I have played around a bit with deleting the crontab created by SuperDuper! and writing a script to execute the backup script with Lingon (http://lingon.sourceforge.net) instead, but nothing ever happens and no error is produced. I can manually invoke the script from Terminal and it runs fine. Probably an issue with Lingon (or me) rather than SuperDuper!

I suppose this would break compatability with 10.3 but for me thats not an issue.

Thanks.

dnanian
05-26-2006, 02:52 PM
Cron isn't deprecated, actually -- it really can't be, since it's a pretty standard part of Unix. But, as long as we're supporting 10.3.9 -- which we are right now -- we cannot use LaunchServices.

LaunchServices is not required to run without users logged in, nor to allow wake: those are design issues more than anything else, and we'll be revisiting the various capabilities of SuperDuper! as we work on 3.0. (If you want to wake the system, just schedule a wake event with the Energy Saver Preference Pane for a minute before the scheduled run time -- should work great.)

Hope that helps!