PDA

View Full Version : Big Crash after last update.

Ericc
05-25-2006, 11:22 PM
I just recently bought SD to start doing backups to a NAS drive for my G5 but Im running into a problem when I attempt to do a complete backup.

The user files backup option seems to funciton just fine but I get the mac equivalent of the blue screen of death when trying to do a full backup to a sparse image on my NAS drive. :eek: (ie. The message about holding down your powerkey and cold booting) at about 10% into a full backup.

Prior to getting SD I had a DIMM go bad which hammered one users data on this computer. I replaced both dimms in that matched pair and I also upgraded the HD and did a fresh install after a format.

So the system is as clean as it has ever been.. So Im at a loss as to the cause of the crash...

On the same note about doing a full backup.. Is it even possible to make a fullbackup from the same volume your booting from? How is that handled.. In this case this is what Im trying and might be part of the problem.

On a different matter I noticed that SD fails to mount my NAS drive about 20% of the time. I had a similar problem with a script I used to mount the NAS.. I added a couple seconds delay between getting the server and mounting it and the problem went away.. Perhaps something similar is happening here.

Thx for any help anyone can toss my way.

Eric

dnanian
05-26-2006, 07:38 AM
We don't have any kernel-level components at all, Eric, so we can't really be the "cause" of a Kernel Panic like that. Of course, we can trigger one in something that has a problem.

Have you looked at your panic.log?

fhaber
05-26-2006, 11:46 AM
Would you permit a basically PC guy a guess?

Using gigabit Ethernet to your NAS? I've seen the most amazing crashes on XP when the heavy throughput of GB hits the net stack just wrong. I've also seen some pretty lame (SOHO-market) GB switches.

Disclaimer: I know NOTHING about OS X handling of heavy net loads.

dnanian
05-26-2006, 12:01 PM
Possible... but I test against a Gigastation with a cheap Netgear gigabit switch, and haven't seen anything similar at this end, at least...