PDA

View Full Version : How to install Tiger on external firewire to restore from

silentbliss
05-23-2006, 11:39 PM
hmm...
my iMac G5 CD drive is grinding away here, has difficulty reading CD's and DVD's at times and always has problem ejecting. Before the inevitable happens, I would like to partition one of my external LaCie's and install a clean copy of Tiger (as opposed to reinstalling from CD which it may not be able to do). I guess I would then restore? with Super Duper to get that onto my working internal HD?
Can I and how would I go about doing that with Super Duper's help? I already have a bootable clone on one Lacie but I would also like to have actually just a very clean duplicate of the Tiger CD to store on an external.
I hope this all makes sense to someone because it seemed to make sense to me....
thanks,
bliss :rolleyes:

dnanian
05-24-2006, 07:43 AM
Actually, this isn't something you can do. While you can use a Sandbox to preserve an existing version of your OS (while you run from the Sandbox), you can't modify a non-Sandbox and expect to be able to restore a Sandbox "over" it -- it'll roll back too many things partially (as opposed to the opposite, where you'd be either booting back to an older setup, or *updating* things by applying the changes made to the Sandbox to the main volume).

I think, if this is something you're worried about, that I'd invest in an external FireWire CD/DVD drive...

silentbliss
05-24-2006, 11:17 AM
o.k...thanks for your help.
i sort of figured that was the case but did so want to figure out a way to do that
with existing hardware.
I will take this as a sign that I need a MacBook Pro.....
Thanks again. Super Duper is great and so is your help!

dnanian
05-24-2006, 11:20 AM
I think it is a sign you need a MacBook Pro! ;)