PDA

View Full Version : SuperDuper 2.0.1 and TechTool 4.1.1 eDrive Partition

jr777
03-06-2006, 11:53 PM
I am backing up my 80GB iMac running 10.4.4 using SuperDuper 2.0.1 to a Maxtor One Touch II. I installed TechTools 4.1.1 on my mac and have not as yet created the eDrive (a TechTool partition on your computer from which the software can be run, containg a small image of your system, reflecting changes in your operating system over time, from which you can run Techtools). It makes it so you do not have to constantly buy new updated versions of the utility - and you do not have to boot from the Techtool CD - you can run the software from your eDrive partition. My question is whether you can do a SuperDuper backup to a Maxtor from a mac that has an eDrive partition on it. I appreciate your help on this. Thank you.

dnanian
03-07-2006, 11:15 AM
I don't see why not, jr777; it's just a partition, so you should be able to back up your main partition without trouble.

jr777
03-07-2006, 07:08 PM
Thx dnanian - Would SuperDuper back up all my partitions at once, including the eDrive? :) The eDrive contains not only Techtools software but a small image of your system on it. Wouldn't it be best to do a full backup of the whole computer - partitions and all - even if that backup includes a small image of your system. Just want to be sure..Thank you.

dnanian
03-07-2006, 10:03 PM
No, we copy a single volume at a time, so we won't touch the eDrive... it is, after all, a separate "drive".

But, if it's selectable as a partition, you can back it up as well... and both can easily be scheduled to happen one after the other.

jr777
03-07-2006, 10:14 PM
Hi dnanian,

How would the complete restore to a mac work from a firewire drive containing the SuperDuper backups of the main and eDrive partitions work?
Thx. :)

dnanian
03-07-2006, 10:18 PM
I really don't know how the eDrive is created, so it's hard for me to say. But, assuming it's a partition, you'd partition your drive, and then restore the two partitions...