PDA

View Full Version : LaCie 250GB & a LaCie 40GB Mobile

prot
03-01-2006, 12:10 AM
I'm looking to buy both these drives from the Apple site. Anyone have any last minute advice ?

The LaCie 250GB FireWire will be my main SuperDuper! backup drive for my G5 and 12" PB Macs. The LaCie 40GB Mobile will be used (hopefully) for booting a Debian install and a OS X Tiger install, for software testing purposes only.

My bigest concern is will they boot.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Kindest regards, prot.

P.S. I have to buy from the Apple Site, I have no choice in that matter.

dnanian
03-01-2006, 08:52 AM
The d2/d3s seem to work fine. We've had occasional reports that the "small" Porsche Design units have issues, but they're not consistent, so it might just be certain samples...

Anyway, in general, the LaCie drives should work fine.

prot
03-01-2006, 09:48 AM
Cheers Dave.

prot
03-07-2006, 02:53 PM
Both drives arrived from Apple. I changed the 40gb to 100gb. Both boot on my G4 Power Book.

I was a little confused to begin with, between FireWire Booting and FireWire Target Disk Mode, and to tell the truth, I still not sure I understand the difference.

Holding down "t" would give me a lovely bouncy firewire icon, but a little reading, I discovered that I should hold down the "option" key instead.

Whilst not a Superduper! issue, if anyone has a link they could share on installing Debian on an exernal firewire drive, that would be bootable, I would be extreamly thankfull.

Dave, once again, thankyou so much for such a great piece of software.

dnanian
03-07-2006, 05:04 PM
FireWire Target Disk Mode turns your Mac into a giant FireWire hard disk. FireWire boot is starting the Mac from a FireWire drive.

Hope that helps!