PDA

View Full Version : SD eats my HD icon!

teejayeff
02-11-2006, 02:48 PM
SuperDuper is of course exactly that and works perfectly for me, with a SmartUpdate scheduled to run each night to a firewired LaCie external hard disk. Here's a funny thing; my Mac Mini has an icon (of a Mac Mini) over the hard disk icon. The LaCie comes with its own firewire icon but, following the smart update, its been replaced with the Mac Mini icon! If I delete it (by going to Get Info and selecting) the firewire icon is underneath but next morning its been covered over again. Ok, its not a deal breaker, just the last 0.01% keeping SD from 100% perfection! Any idea what gives?

dnanian
02-11-2006, 05:17 PM
Sure. The icon is a file, stored on the drive. It's copied along with the rest of the files...

There are various posts here, including one right at the top of the list of topics in the forum, that give a method you can use to reset a "custom" icon. In your case, though, you had no icon, and thus the technique used would be to *remove* the .VolumeIcon.icns file at the top of the external drive...

teejayeff
02-11-2006, 05:47 PM
Ok, sorry, my stupid for not seeing that. In my defence, I did look in the FAQ forum first ... Options proposed seem a little beyond me so I guess I'll just live with it. Thanks for quick response.

dnanian
02-11-2006, 06:11 PM
No "stupid" at all -- nor any defense needed... the advantage of copying the icon is that, if you need to do a full restore, the icon's restored too!