PDA

View Full Version : Backup even days=>PartitionA; odd days=>PartitionB?

DrDan in MA
02-02-2006, 10:26 PM
Hypothetical: external HD with two partitions. Goal is to schedule SD! on the home HD such that on even days it does a smart update of the home HD to ext HD partitionA, and on odd days to ext HD partitionB. Advantage: If I want to go back to two days ago I can, if yesterday's backup is corrupted or wrong.

Possible? If so, how? As ever, pointers to where this has been answered are great. I looked thru the User Manual and FAQ and came up empty, but maybe that's just me... :o

dnanian
02-02-2006, 10:40 PM
Just schedule M, T, W, Sa for partition a, and then T, TH, F, SU for partition B, Dan.

DrDan in MA
02-02-2006, 10:50 PM
:o :o Duh! Thanks! :o :o

dnanian
02-02-2006, 10:50 PM
Yeah, sometimes things are so simple they're hard to see... :)

DrDan in MA
02-03-2006, 11:50 PM
Too right! :o

Followup obvious question prolly with obvious answer: I thought I read somewhere [but couldn't find it in the UserManual(?)] that SD! does not have to be on for a scheduled run to happen. Kinda like it uses the cron cmd.

Counterexample has been the last couple nites, where I thot I'd scheduled a run for 0300, but it wasn't done. So tonite I'm going to leave SD on and see what happens.

Might it have something to do with SD! being locked or not? Tonite I'm leaving SD unlocked, which as I understand things, "Permanently Authorizes" SD! to make its backups.

Again, a pointer to the doc's better and more efficient than an answer :)

dnanian
02-04-2006, 08:15 AM
SuperDuper! doesn't have to be running for scheduled backups to occur, but you do have to be logged in, and have access to the screen.

However, as SD! states when you quit with scheduled copies present, you must unlock the app to let the scheduling work.